Blue jacaranda seedling

• Jvalego13
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Blue jacaranda seedling was created by Jvalego13

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #73426
Hello everyone! I am new to bonsai but I am trying to grow a blue jacaranda tree. Unfortunately, they keep falling over. They start to get a brown spot about 3/4 of the way up the stem and within 2 days the fall over (see picture). They come inside at night as it gets down into the 40’s here in WA at night. Am I over watering? Is it too cold in WA? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Attachment 805B0539-0B25-492E-8E8E-594CDDEE4B2E.jpeg not found

Last Edit:2 years 8 months ago by Jvalego13

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Jvalego13. Reason: Photo added

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Albas on topic Blue jacaranda seedling

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #73427
Hello!
You are on northern hemisphere right (WA is Washington State I presume)...
So I don't think it's the best time to sown them, Jacarandá are Semi-deciduous/Deciduous Tropicals... 40ºC Fahrenheit night wouldn't be trouble of the tree's were bigger and more stable by this time, but they are not...

I live where Jacarandás are native from (Last Southern State of Brazil) and I have a few 1 years old ones growing...
Last winter colder nights reached around 0ºC and I didn't protected them from the frost or anything...

This is them on late winter you can see some burnt leaves, but just a few leaves dropped, everyone survived, they are way bigger now.
However, when winte came, they were already stablished on their pots, and I don't think our winter can compare to yours.
So treatment should be different by winter... But what I have to say to you is that this is not the time to sown a tree's seed that should be dormant by now, if you still have some seed, wait a few months to early spring, and you should have no problem.

Attachment WhatsAppImage2021-11-04at23.26.34.jpeg not found

by Albas

This message has an attachment image.

• Jvalego13
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Jvalego13 on topic Blue jacaranda seedling

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #73428
Thanks for the tips and yes I’m in Washington state. The seeds were part of a bonsai “starter kit” and the information in it is horrible. Everything I have looked up to get the seeds going is the polar opposite of what the starter kit says. I’ll have to order more and try again in the spring!
by Jvalego13

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Blue jacaranda seedling

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #73429
Dont buy any more seeds labelled as bonsai. There are no such things, its just overprized normal seeds.

If you want to grow from seeds it is cheaper and better to just buy seeds that are not labelled as bonsai. One step better is to go out and collect seeds from local trees (if legal).

Most of the trees you see in bonsai artists collections is not grown from seed by them. Its fun to grow from seeds and many of us do that. But it takes more than 10 years before you are working with bonsai and at least 10 more years before you get to the fun part, refinement. Therefore most of the bonsai artists starts with mature starter trees from nurceries, bonsai dealers or collected in gardens or nature.

Growing bonsai is hard as it is, growing tropical trees in a temperate climate is another challenge. Combining the two as a beginner is adding far too much complexity for a beginner. Better start with locally hardy species.
by Tropfrog

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Albas on topic Blue jacaranda seedling

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #73431
Yes, I agree...
He didn't called it bonsai seeds, and that is a start... :P

And I'll like to add that I think they just put Jacarandá seeds on those kits because it's easy to sown, and because the mature tree is beautiful...
Because I wouldn't classify Jacarandá as a begginer species, they have huge leaves, and are hard to ramify...

There are very very few good quality bonsai made on that species, and most of the trees you see on google images for example when you research "Jacaranda Bonsai" are actually Wisterias...

That didn't stop me to try, but well, as I said I live where they are native from, I get seeds for free, and I took the challenge... :P
by Albas

• Jvalego13
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Jvalego13 on topic Blue jacaranda seedling

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #73436
I wouldn’t make the mistake of calling them bonsai seeds lol. This starter kit actually specified that there is no such thing. I’ve been fascinated with bonsai trees for a long time but I haven’t really ever had the chance to try and grow one. I have an alleged Norway spruce seedling that is much healthier looking then the jacaranda (if that’s what they actually are). I’m aware that it’s going to take quite some time before I can actually do any bonsai with these trees but it’s the satisfaction of starting from a seed for me. Are there any books you guys would recommend for beginners?
by Jvalego13

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 2 years 8 months ago #73438
Books you can find on bonsai is all about bonsai and very rarelly about seedlings.

Norway spruce....sown in spring and kept outdoors at all time.
by Tropfrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jvalego13

• Evermore

Replied by Evermore on topic Blue jacaranda seedling

Posted 5 months 2 weeks ago #82299
I have the same kit and my Jacaranda is doing the same. I am a bit concerned about my royal poinciana and my Norway spruce. The spruce isn't growing at all and the seeds and good and my poinciana is growing oddly.

Attachment 17054220657855273990528246401169.jpg not found

Attachment 17054220892854750569653309096666.jpg not found

Attachment 17054221060001541025866593126884.jpg not found

by Evermore

This message has attachments images.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 months 2 weeks ago #82301
These species should definetely be sown outdoors. The warmth and lack of sun makes them confused about the season and grow elongated or not at all.

Sow norway spruce outdoors in mid winter, blue jacaranda right after the last frost and poinciana a few weeks later for best results.

For saving your seadlings make sure to lower temperature and increase light. A tricky part for those that not have specialiced grow rooms or greenhouses.

The norway spruce can go out now and sprout naturally in spring when the time is right.
Last Edit:5 months 2 weeks ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Tropfrog.

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Blue jacaranda seedling

Posted 5 months 2 weeks ago #82302
Most trees produce thousands of seeds and only a small fraction sprout. And only a fraction of the sprouted seeds survive. It should not be too surprising if a lot of seed kit seeds don't do well.
by Ivan Mann