Winterizing Juniper in Canadian Winter

• Brother Bonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Winterizing Juniper in Canadian Winter was created by Brother Bonsai

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82132
I received my first bonsai this Christmas, and from what I've read, my tree requires some specific care for winter however I have seen that the temperatures here may be too cold. I live in NB, Canada and the temperatures can reach as low as -30C during the winter. I have a Chinese juniper that likely has not been in a pot for more than a year, and it has been inside for at least a month (yes, I know it needs to be brought outdoors). I would like to know if anyone with bonsai experience in extremely cold temperatures has any advice on this? Thanks!
by Brother Bonsai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Winterizing Juniper in Canadian Winter

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82135
Do you have a shed or garage that is kept cold, but does not drop deep into freezing? Transferring it outside is now not a good idea. And in general, -30 might be a tad too cold for it.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brother Bonsai

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Winterizing Juniper in Canadian Winter

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82136
Now is not possible to take it outdoors. The tree needs a full authum to prepare for the winter. As cold As possible but frost free is indeed the best option.

Next winter your climate may not be much of a problem if you get a lot of snow wich I think you do. -30 is for sure an issue, but under just 50 cm of fluffy snow it is seldom colder than -10, wich is no problem at all. Just put it on the ground in a wind sheltered place and cover it in snow. But not this winter, next one after a full season outdoors.
Last Edit:5 months 1 week ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Tropfrog.

• Brother Bonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Brother Bonsai on topic Winterizing Juniper in Canadian Winter

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82140
I have a shed, but there would be no light at all reaching the tree from inside, however from the comment about it being buried in snow, I take it this isn't an issue during the winter? When I spoke to someone at the garden center it was purchased from, all she told me was that it needs lots of light and how a chinese juniper should be watered, avoiding root wetness.
by Brother Bonsai

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Winterizing Juniper in Canadian Winter

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82143
When a tree is dormant there are no photosyntesis going on and no light is needed.

But yes, junipers need full sun when not dormant. This is a graduate transition in authum and spring. Some light during this period benefits the tree, weather it is artificial light in the shed or moving it outdoors daytime. Snow is the perfect trabmnsition as it keeps the tree dormant until melted. Nature has solved it perfectly.
by Tropfrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brother Bonsai