I have 4 forms of bonsai seeds-first time growing anything from seed.

• ruthkaren
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

I have 4 forms of bonsai seeds-first time growing anything from seed. was created by ruthkaren

Posted 5 months 6 days ago #82218
I purchased the growing bonsai from seed course and that has been very helpful.

In summary I have:
Crepe Myrtle-in the fridge for 30 days for stratification
Hinoki Cypress-in the fridge for 30 days
Chinese Elem-in the fridge for 30 days
Blue Jacaranda-as far as I know requires no stratification

I was planning to plant the jacaranda at the same time as the others, just taking the seeds out of the bag and planting because I don't see anywhere that the seeds need to be held in a fridge.

I'm doing all of this in an apartment with no balcony, so all indoors.
What I have to work with:
-a humidifier
-root hormone-powder
-a soil thermometer
-6 decomposable "pots"
-plastic container with 12 cells and the top twists to let air in.
-kelp nutrition pack
-heating mat
-propagation soil mix from my local plant store (not pictured).

The space has a window, but the window has a tree in front of it-so it doesn't get too bright. I think it is east facing. There are LED's under the desk area to shine over the plants under it. I've been pretty successful at growing my monstera for about 3 years now. I was gifted the bonsai seeds but absolutely have no real idea of what I'm doing. Based on the course, I know that it's all about trunk development, which I don't have to worry about yet. My main concern is to get the seeds to actually grow. I plan to plant them around February 4th, which would be about a month of the seeds being in the fridge. I'm unsure of how to use the supplies I have in the best ways. What do you all think?
by ruthkaren

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic I have 4 forms of bonsai seeds-first time growing anything from seed.

Posted 5 months 5 days ago #82224
There are no such thing as bonsai seeds. What you have is just normal tree seeds. Most of us do propagate trees from seeds or cuttings because it is fun. But in reality most of them will never become bonsai in our life time. Most beginners that start from seeds stops with the hobby before even getting the experience of developing a bonsai. That is why the recomendation for beginners is to start with mature garden center materials, save many years of growing trees and jump right to the funny part which is creation and development of bonsai.

All but jacaranda is temperate species that needs to be grown outdoors in temperate regions. They will not survive indoors or in tropical regions. The recomendation for beginners is to start with locally hardy species and grow them outdoors.

If you have no possibility to grow trees outdoors, stick to ficus, umbrella tree or crassula.

To answer your questions. The root hormone, the soil thermomether and the kelp is of no use in this stage. However, the kelp can be saved and used from second year.

The heat mat is of no use for the temperate species. It may benefit the jacaranda.
by Tropfrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthkaren

• ruthkaren
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by ruthkaren on topic I have 4 forms of bonsai seeds-first time growing anything from seed.

Posted 5 months 5 days ago #82229
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! Crazy how seeds are marketed as such. Thank you very much for the info.
by ruthkaren

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Tropfrog on topic I have 4 forms of bonsai seeds-first time growing anything from seed.

Posted 5 months 5 days ago #82230
What is your location and is there any chanse you can grow them outdoors?
by Tropfrog

• ruthkaren
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by ruthkaren on topic I have 4 forms of bonsai seeds-first time growing anything from seed.

Posted 5 months 5 days ago #82231
My location is in TN, United States. It's colder months now but it will warm up soon. I could potentially grow them at a family members home. Would I still plant them in the pots or the smaller cells? And would it be okay to plant them in February?
by ruthkaren

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 months 5 days ago #82232
Not that I know what TN stands for. I am in VG Sweden :). But it sounds like you are in a temperate region, which is excellent!

Temperate tree seeds are adapted to spend the winter dormant waiting for spring. If sown outdoors, they will germinate when time is right. Not before, not after, just at the perfect time. Isn't evolution fantastic?

So yes, you can sow them now and wait for natural germination in spring. That goes for all but the jacaranda, that one needs to come out after the last frost.

What container you use makes no difference.
by Tropfrog

• ruthkaren
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 months 5 days ago #82233
I see! Just going to let nature take over then. :cheer:

What does temperate mean?
by ruthkaren

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 months 5 days ago #82234
There are four main types of climate:

Tropic, subtropic, temperate and arctic.

Temperate means that you have four seasons and one of them is a winter with frost more than just night frost.

Since trees oposite to animals cannot move when climate is unfavorable, every tree is evolved to handle the climate they are growing in naturally. Lets call it optimized to the surroundings.

When growing bonsai as a beginner it is important to shose the species that are well adapted to ones climate. Growing trees away from ones hardiness zone is another challenge and best not combined with the challenge of developing bonsai. I like to say it is three times the challenge.
Last Edit:5 months 5 days ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 5 months 5 days ago by Tropfrog.