Pruning Ficus Ginseng

• TeamCooper
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pruning Ficus Ginseng was created by TeamCooper

Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago #82345
Hello,

I have a Ficus Ginseng which is now around 30 years old but I have not been good on pruning and it has gone a little 'wild'.

I would like to prune it back to create a fuller, compact look but I am concerned it will be very bare for a long period of time.

I have attached a picture, would really appreciate your views.

Many thanks
Darren

Attachment Image_2024-01-24.jpeg not found

Attachment Image_2024-01-24.jpeg not found

by TeamCooper

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pruning Ficus Ginseng

Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago #82348
30 years old ficus ginseng, wow! I did not even knew they have been in production that long. The first ones here showed up some 15-20 years ago.

Ficus in this health is strong plants and can take a lot of pruning. Even to the point when all leafs are gone, back to a basic structure. Obviously it takes a while to fill in after.

Your other option is to start cutting new growth off a few times a year. That will stimulate backbudding and new more compact branches. After a wile one can start removing unproportional branches.

It is more or less two ways to reach similar goals. A more proportional , compact and ramified tree. The first option is bigger risk, looks ugly meanwhile and takes longer time, but have potential to grow a much better tree.

The second option will be faster, look better meantime but risk to be a slightly lower quality tree.

This is the debate we all have inside. Building a fairly good tree in least amount of time or a fantastic one in a distant future?
Last Edit:4 months 3 weeks ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Tropfrog.

• TeamCooper
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by TeamCooper on topic Pruning Ficus Ginseng

Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago #82349
Thanks very much for your help. I am not sure ow old my tree is, but I have had it for 15 years and when I bought it, it was quite large (i.e. 20cm high with a good trunk, so I guess it was another 10-15 years old when I purchased it.... could be wrong).

I think I will try and trim it right back and leave a few leaves on the branches to hopefully stimulate good growth for the future. Assume if I trim a branch below the leaf line, it will still produce leaves in the future? I guess not guaranteed though...

Really appreciate your views.
by TeamCooper

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pruning Ficus Ginseng

Posted 4 months 3 weeks ago #82350

I think I will try and trim it right back and leave a few leaves on the branches to hopefully stimulate good growth for the future. Assume if I trim a branch below the leaf line, it will still produce leaves in the future? I guess not guaranteed though...

Excactly. I do not guarantee anything and bear no responsibility for any harm done to your tree following my advices :)
by Tropfrog