Securing trunk in bonsai formula

• Ramman
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Securing trunk in bonsai formula was created by Ramman

Posted 3 months 1 week ago #82755
I am having a hard time securing plant when repotting with the proper bonsai soil mix. Never seems secure enough.having hard time wiring plant into place. Maybe it’s my arthritic hands, is there another way to secure without wire Thanks in advance Stuart.
by Ramman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fransen
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Fransen on topic Securing trunk in bonsai formula

Posted 3 months 1 week ago #82756
There is another way also with wiring, but it might be a little easier. It really only works with plastic pots. You make a hole in the pot at the rim. Connect a wire. Connect it to the tree. Do that 3 times around the pot. It will keep it stable. They are called guy wires. Youtube will show you how exactly. Also easier to remove after a few months when the tree has settled.
by Fransen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ramman

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Securing trunk in bonsai formula

Posted 3 months 6 days ago #82758
Nigel Saunders never use wire to secure the trees. Just a few rocks on the soil to keep it in place after repotting. Can be taken off as soon as roots have grown. Where I am, on an island off the Swedish West Coast, it is not possible, the wind would rip new roots into pieces and the trees would never establish. But if you are inland and can protect the tree from the hardest winds, it may be a method for you.
by Tropfrog

• Ramman
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by Ramman on topic Securing trunk in bonsai formula

Posted 3 months 6 days ago #82760
I actually am within 3 to 4 miles from ocean and we recieve a lot of high winds and thunder storms here in St. Augustine Florida I will try rocks tonight. Could you send me some pictures and information about the area, it must be sensational and absolutely beautiful. Thanks Stuart Simon. ( RAMMAN )
by Ramman

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Securing trunk in bonsai formula

Posted 3 months 3 days ago #82783

Nigel Saunders never use wire to secure the trees. Just a few rocks on the soil to keep it in place after repotting. Can be taken off as soon as roots have grown. Where I am, on an island off the Swedish West Coast, it is not possible, the wind would rip new roots into pieces and the trees would never establish. But if you are inland and can protect the tree from the hardest winds, it may be a method for you.

I am about 300 miles/500 know from ocean and I have had trees blown out of pots before and pots blown off the stands.

This weekend I have planned to tie them all down to the stands. April is windy season.
by Ivan Mann

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Securing trunk in bonsai formula

Posted 3 months 3 days ago #82784

I am about 300 miles/500 know from ocean and I have had trees blown out of pots before and pots blown off the stands.

This weekend I have planned to tie them all down to the stands. April is windy season.

My bad asuming wind conditions is the same as Swrden all over the world :). I guess hurricanes mostly happens inland?
by Tropfrog

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Securing trunk in bonsai formula

Posted 2 months 4 weeks ago #82803
Around here we call them tornadoes, but whatever you call them they are high speed winds. They are associated with the central US states, like Kansas in The Wizard if Oz, but we get them here in the southeast.

Sometimes we just get high winds of 50-60 mph, almost 100 km. They cause a lot more damage than just bonsais,
by Ivan Mann