Does my bonsai need repotting?

• ray1002
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Does my bonsai need repotting? was created by ray1002

Posted 3 months 3 days ago #82786
Hi all,

I'm extremely new to bonsai and recently I bought this bonsai (I think its a Zelkova - Ulmus Parvifolia, maybe someone can confirm?) and I was wondering if it needs repotting? When I look at the rootsystem it feels like it's too cramped and there isn't enough space.
Also I was wondering if it is possible to repot in the same pot, as I like this one for now.

All suggestions are welcome!

Kind regards,
Ray
by ray1002

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Does my bonsai need repotting?

Posted 3 months 2 days ago #82789
The species is chinese elm (ulmus parvifolia).

The japanese elm or zelkova is (zelkova serrata)

It is a deliberate mislabelling that makes people think they have zelkova when it is really chinese elm.

I do not recomend any beginner to repot a newly purchased tree by themselves. Repooting is not very often an urgent task. If the pot drains well it is not urgent.

It is better to focus on getting the care and environment right and get the tree healthy growing.

If a beginner shose to repot first tree urgently and the tree dies, that beginner cannot learn anything from it. It is not possible to tell If the tree dued from Repotting or the wrong care.

Speaking about care and environment. As soon as the risk of frost is over the tree must be moved outdoors. The move has to be done starting in full shade and moved step by step into full sun during a 4-6 weeks period. Once outdoors, never move it indoors again.
by Tropfrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: ray1002

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.