Protecting my Spruce from the C-C-Cold

• Tia4751
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Protecting my Spruce from the C-C-Cold was created by Tia4751

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82146
Hi, I'm a newbie here and just got my first Bonsai tree for Xmas. I fell in love with the little lady instantly, but knew absolutely NOTHING about growing one. So here I am. I identified her as a spruce (common). Since the weather here in N. Ohio is a bit nippy, soon 2 B getting below freezing, I have taken the steps I've read here to protect the root system from freezing. I felt that I needed to get jiggy with the warming device, so I turned a snuggle monster loose on BB, (short for Bonsai Baby)
I took a styrofoam cooler that the pot fit in, wrapped insulating foam around the pot, and set it into the cooler. I then cut a slot in the lid so the lid fit, then wrapped the entire cooler in a plastic trash bag to keep out excessive moisture.
I check BB every 2 days as of now, (opening the cooler and checking her for water with a Bamboo chopstick I carefully stuck into the soil) and water accordingly till it comes out the bottom twice. I wait an hour and stick her back out. I just hope my snuggle monster isn't too much? I do know she needs to experience winter as part of her seasonal growing/shut down regimen, and she seems to tolerate the cold well like this. # it's 32 degrees outside as I type. Temps normally get to around zero with the chill factor here in Feb-Mar, so I wanted to be sure she's safe to that level of temperature. Check it out. Picture enclosed and any comments will be greatly appretiated. Huggz Tia
by Tia4751

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Protecting my Spruce from the C-C-Cold

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82148
I see no pictures. But you are certainly overdoing things there.

Spruce is really cold hardy. Put it somewhere sheltered from wind and direct sun exposure in your garden. If you do indeed get temps to drop down to 0F (I assume you are referring to this odd temperature scale?), so about -18c you could consider mulching the roots in, but I never bother. Spruce is amongst my "I do not worry about winter" trees.

Some more info on how I see bonsai in winter:

by leatherback

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Protecting my Spruce from the C-C-Cold

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82150
My spruces is still on the bench and has not been watered since mid september. This morning I woke up to -16 and it will be like that for a week according to the forecast. But still no action from my side.

First watering will proboably happen in mid april. Still lot of time.
by Tropfrog

• Tia4751
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Tia4751 on topic Protecting my Spruce from the C-C-Cold

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82154
LOL, The weather here in N. Ohio has been very warm and sunny. It was actually 58 degrees on Xmas, and 5o on new year's with moderate sun. I watered my tree twice since the 15th of December when I received it. Are you telling me that as the weather got/gets cold, we water them very little? I read here on the site that I should water it when the root ball requires moisture. (bamboo chopstick stuck in the soil through the root system acts as a moisture indicator)

This is my first Bonsai, so I am addement to get this little girl growing big and strong. It's 20 degrees this morning and snow is predicted early next week, and have her under an overhang facing the south, which is what I read to do, but I'm told/read that a spruce Bonsai will die if I try to grow it indoors. The snuggle monster that is designed to keep her roots warm is what I came up with to help her make it through these cold months. # I do bring her in every two days when I check on her moisture and foliage for a few hours. Does anyone have any info on helping me to help BB stay the course in an upcoming C-C-Cold N. Ohio winter?
by Tia4751

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 852

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Protecting my Spruce from the C-C-Cold

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82155
No picture does not help, with age size etc. You may be cold but this plant needs cold. Do not take it inside, during the winter the soil will not dry out as fast as in the spring or summer, so it will not need so much, but checking every few days is best.
by m5eaygeoff

• Tia4751
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82157
Thank you soooooooooo much for the reply. I am a newbie and clueless as to BB's care.
by Tia4751

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82158

Are you telling me that as the weather got/gets cold, we water them very little? I read here on the site that I should water it when the root ball requires moisture. (bamboo chopstick stuck in the soil through the root system acts as a moisture indicator)

Yes, in winter less water is reqired. In my area the rain is more than enough for almost 6 months. Using chopstick is a good method for indicating moisture levels for beginners. However, does not work when the soil is solid frozen :)
Last Edit:5 months 1 week ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Tropfrog.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82160
This is my spruce in training enjoying winter. The temperature has been below freezing most of the last month. The root ball has been solid frozen most of the time and never completely thawn. Last night was -16 and today -8. And I don't worry at all. This is what they are adapted to by evolution.

I am in a zone similar to usda 7 in Sweden. Unfortunattely we seldom gets big amounts of snow. If we get, I put the tree on ground and cover in snow. The snow makes an excellent insulation, much better than styrofoam and much more environmental friendly. Not totally necessary in my climate, but may be the best option and even necessary in yours.

Now, please share a photo of your tree.

Attachment 20240105_142549.jpg not found

by Tropfrog

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Tia4751
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82177
Thank you so much for the video's. I tossed the cooler but kept the lid for when it gets below -15 degrees to cover the soil in the pot. Living in an apartment with my door facing the south is a challenge, but I do have a place to place my spruce that is out of the winter sun. Since it is so small, I am still worried about her, but then again, parents always worry, R-I-G-H-T? Tia
by Tia4751

• Tia4751
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 months 1 week ago #82179
Here are two pictures of what I identified as a common spruce. # She is outside frolicking in the snow at 33 degree Tia
by Tia4751

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.